Saturday 9 June 2007

money, or lack thereof

The rally is proving to be personally expensive (*makes cash register noise*) and that's before I've even considered the cost of a flight home. In the past week I've spent £104 on the first dose of rabies and tick-borne encephalitis vaccines, £230 on an eye test and the resulting new glasses (my eyes have woefully deteriorated again and Specsavers suck), and £25 quid for knickers that are quick-drying (for laundry purposes, not because of little accidents).

Next week I have to shell out another £104 on vaccines, £47 on an Uzbekistan visa and at least £28 on a dental check-up.

I am keeping a running total of my expenses so far but it's too bleak to even view it. At least I am slightly less likely to get rabies, or rather, I have more time to get to a hospital if I am bitten. Yes, Specsavers in London Wall managed to get half way through my eye test while I tried to tell them I was still wearing my contact lenses. In fact, the optometrist who sniffed all over me (yeugh) tried to tell me I couldn't wear lenses based on my eye measurements when I was actually wearing lenses at the time - and she'd been staring at them in close up. Think I'll be finding a real opticians next time. The rest of the staff were helpful though but my new glasses are too nice and expensive to take with me, so I'll rely on my contact lenses and will steer by sense of smell.

No comments: